Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bonjour from Paris!


We're heeeerreeee!!!


And I'm exhausted. But, I'm excited so I'm going to blog first. The flight went really well, we took a red eye on Air Canada which I recommend. The food was really good (surprisingly), the stewardess were awesome (they let us move seats), there was a TV screen on the seat in front of us so that rocked. I watched "The Kings Speech" and started watching "Blue Valentine" but I thought it was a bit inappropriate. Hit some turbalance so my curiousity for wondering what Space Mountain at Disney would feel like has been answered. I slept off and on so it wasnt bad. (My family on the other hand, has face planted onto the bed and is OUT).


I made note on the directions from Charles de Gaulle airport to Paris. No joke, its actually quite easy.


Get off the plane, get your luggage and find the signs for "Sortie" (exit). Once you are in the main area and you want to go into Paris via train (RER), follow this:


Go to terminal 2C. There is a booth on the right hand side that says "Tourist Information". From here, you can pick up EVERYTHING. We got a Paris Viste pass (covers the metro, RER and bus) for zones 1-3. Now, you can't use zones 1-3 leaving the airport or to go to Versailles, so we opted instead to purchase the RER (train) ticket separately (it was like 8 euros). Luckily, the tourist information booth also sold the train tickets so that was something else we didnt have to deal with. We also picked up the four day musuem pass (if you dont know what this is, then you really need to do some Paris research!) We did not get one for the kid (she's 13) because th majority of the musuems are free for kids. The ones that are not (I will blog when we get to them) are only a few euros so no point getting her the pass.


Again to recap, you really dont need zones 1-6. The only two main things you would possibly need it for is to go from the airport to Paris or from Paris to Versailles. In my opinion (and others on TripAdvisors-"hi guys!"), just buy a separate billet (ticket). Its cheaper. (You could also purchase a book of 10 tickets for 12 euros but we are planning on using the metro/bus alot). Do your research, it pays. :)


So after you got your tickets, continue on following the signs for RER B. This is the train that will get you into Paris. Once you are on the train, just listen for the stops. We got off at Gare du Nord, then got on the metro. Now, piece of advice while on the train...you will get quite a few people (we're talking little kids, women with babies, grown men) walking through the train saying something, asking for money. Just don't look at them, they will go away. Or, simply say, "Non". They will leave you alone. Keep your bags close at hand, someone may grab it and jump off the train as the doors close. It happens.


Now, once your train arrives at the station, simply hit the little silver button on the door. This will open up the train door. Also, make sure you go to the door at the platform. Dont look like an idot. :D


The metro also, was very simple to figure out! Find your stop, then trace your fingers to the very last stop on that line. That is the "direction" you want to go. I got directions ahead of time from the hotel, they were very easy to follow and we had no problem. :)


We found our hotel very easily! I had reserved them online and had requested a view of the Eiffel Tower. What are the chances, right? But, we arrived to our room, 629 and the first thing I did was fling open the curtain.... :D


Best view ever!!!!


I'll take more pictures and even video when it lights up. I can't believe this is my view for the next 6 days! Tres bien!


Now, I'm tired and I'm watching "Scooby Doo" in French. Its quite funny to hear Shaggy with a French accent!


Here's the start of my photo album with a few pictures that I have taken so far (I need to fix a couple, sorry about that!) More later when we adventure out! :)




Au Revoir!

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment